Friday, June 10, 2011

More Therapy...




This was Wednesday night’s baking therapy, A.K.A. breakfasts for the rest of the week. It’s really too hot to bake (94 degrees!), but that’s what exhaust fans were invented for! (When it’s this hot I really should pre-chill the flour, so as to keep the butter cool until it hits the oven- keeping the butter cold keeps the scones tender and not tough and doughy.)


Papaya Almond Scones


2 C. Flour

¼ C. Sugar

1 ½ Tsp. Baking Powder

¼ Tsp. Cinnamon

¼ Tsp Nutmeg (With a pinch of Mace included, I use ground nutmeg with the aril [mace] left on it.)

4 Tbs. Cold Butter

2/3 C. Dried Papaya chunks

½ C. Almonds, chopped

1 Egg

6 oz. tub Whole Milk Cream-Top Vanilla Yogurt


Pre-heat your oven to 350F. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and spices together in a bowl, then cut or rub in the butter until like oatmeal. Mix in the papaya and almonds. Make a well in the center and beat together the egg and the yogurt before stirring in the dry ingredients, blending everything just shy of mixed. Turn the dough out on the counter and knead very briefly, just to finish mixing and even the consistency. Shape into an 8” disk, and then cut with a sharp knife into eight wedges. Place the scones 1’’ apart on a cookie sheet covered with baking parchment and put in the hot oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until set and just browning. Makes 8.


Today at the pottery- loading the kiln...probably a couple weeks before this one gets fired though...  Also lately I've been mentally gearing up for two sessions at Penland in the next 6 months, and thinking about ideas and forms that I will want to work on while I'm there: for one thing, I can't wait to see what these new forms I've been doing will look like with some flashing slip and some salt and soda, but beyond that I'll be interested to see how the big thin bowls will stand up to the warping potential of soda, I'll try to make thin bottles consistently, stretch myself to work bigger, but not clunkier, and to see if I have indeed gone over to the dark side of porcelain (I don't think I have totally done so, so don't start gloating yet, Joce.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment